In our ever-evolving tech world, as everything goes digital, fighting for the attention online is growing increasingly difficult. Increased web storage space and cloud storage has made it possible to create and post unlimited content, however, attracting users to your site and getting them to stay are two very different undertakings. Plus, the proliferation of new buzzwords constantly popping up inside the tech world can make it difficult to sift through and separate the relevant from the trivial. One specific and multi-faceted term that is constantly considered significant to building a web presence, however, is SEO.
In this blog series dedicated to SEO, we will discuss what SEO encompasses and will explore whether it lives up to the hype as people claim it is essential to the success of your business. While we can’t judge or advise you on what’s essential for your business to be successful, we can provide information on all aspects of SEO, such as:
- What does SEO mean?
- Why is SEO important?
- SEO rankings and search algorithms
- How to achieve high-ranking search results
- How to develop an SEO strategy
- Further knowledge
Today’s blog post is all about what SEO means and why it is important. So…
What does SEO mean?
SEO – or Search Engine Optimization – refers to the range of tactics and strategies used to get visitors to visit a website “naturally” or “organically” as a result of high-ranking placement in the search results of a search engine such as Google, Bing or Yahoo.
That was a doozy wasn’t it? So, let’s break that down.
- “Range of tactics and strategies” refers to the quality and type of the content on your site and references made to your site from external sources.
- “’Natural’ or ‘organic’ visits” means the site results that appear when you search for a keyword in a search engine, as opposed to the paid search results that appear at the top or on the side of your screen.
- “High-ranking placement in search results” is any result on the first or second page, because few users venture beyond the second page of results.
In summary, SEO means improving your website with popular, relevant content so that it attracts more visitors from search engines.
Why is SEO important?
Now you’re likely wondering why SEO is so important. Essentially, SEO makes it easier for potential customers and users to find your website. Spending all the time creating relevant content is only half the battle. You have to get people to see that content.
If you’re still unsure about what SEO is, check out this video created by Search Engine Land and Common Craft.
If we’ve peaked your interest on SEO, be sure to check out our upcoming post about how search engines rank your page.